Thursday 12 April 2018

Travel hacks

I’ve been lucky to travel a fair bit so I thought it might be useful to share some of my travel tips. 

I’ll try and organise them into some logical order but these are things that have just popped up that I thought might be useful to others. 

Pre trip:

  • Research properly. Make sure you use tripadvisor.co.uk to view the accommodation. Also the forums are a great place to ask those questions you can’t be bothered to research yourself (like how to get from the airport to your accommodation).
  • Use a cashback website to book. I use topcashback.co.uk and I’ve made money simply by spending the money I already planned to spend. They’re simple to use and simply track the purchase through the third parties website. 
  • Consider booking directly with the hotel. Sometimes they have perks for booking directly. My recent trip I booked directly and got upgraded to a suite, had access to the lounge for free breakfast, wine and refreshments and received 10% off. Just make sure you compare the costs elsewhere before booking. 
  • Always check in online as early as possible. Set a reminder on your phone for when check in opens. That will help you snag the best seat without paying. 
  • My only exception to this is if you are flexible with your trip then it might pay to not check in online. I didn’t check in for my return flight home from Dubai with Emirates and because the flight was overbooked I got put on a slightly later flight (one hour later) and I got a free return ticket to Dubai as compensation. 
  • Consider using packing bags. I bought some bags from Amazon and it’s so simply to organise so a bag for underwear/bikinis, then day clothes and a separate one for night clothes. It’s a lot easier to find what you need, especially if you’re travelling around and can’t always fully unpack. 
  • Consider opening a Monzo bank account. It’s so simple to open and the MasterCard they give you has no fees to use in shops abroad. You can also withdraw up to £200pm in cash abroad. It’s much safer using your card plus you simply put the amount of money you have for spending in it and it’s easy to track your spending on the app. 

Flight:

  • Dress appropriately. This seems obvious but planes get cold so I always bring a big scarf with me. Also consider wearing flight socks to reduce your risk of DVT. 
  • I do ‘dress up’ to a certain extent to fly but only because I feel better. I love wearing a loose fitting jump suit. It won’t guarantee an upgrade but it certainly looks better than your grubby old leggings and sweater.  
  • Don’t use the blankets. I spoke to an air hostesses who explained the blankets are simply repackaged and handed back out. It could be weeks before they’re washed. Can you imagine the amount of germs on them? That’s where your big scarf can double up as a nice clean blanket. 
  • For long haul flights, consider bringing your own pillow. Buy a cheap one from Primark and it’s much more comfortable that the tiny ones they give you. 
  • I always choose the window seat for long haul flights. That way I can rest my head against the window to sleep plus it’ll be me waking someone up to go to the loo instead of the other way round. 
  • Be nice to the check in staff. Nearly all flights I’ve asked if the flight is full, if it’s not then kindly ask if anyone is sat next to you. That extra seat next to you helps so much to stretch out and sleep. 
  • Bring a foldable water bottle. I bought some from the pound shop. You can fill it up in the airport and then when you’re on the plane they’re happy to fill it up as it saves you keep asking for a glass of water. 
  • Set your watch to the time at your end destination as soon as you board. Try and alternative your sleeping and eating to accommodate the time difference and this should help with jet lag. 

On your trip:

  • Try and speak to the locals for the best tips. They know the place much better than any forum. Ask for as many recommendations as possible. 
  • Download google maps and download your city map so you can navigate the place without using data. 
  • If you’re active, consider going for a jog the first morning you’re in a new place. This is the perfect way to explore the area, work up an appetite for a lovely breakfast and of course be healthy exercising. Plus your google maps offline will help you navigate your way home. 
  • Check out groupon to see if there’s any deals where you are. I’ve saved a fortune on day trips and restaurants whilst travelling and using groupon. Just be sure to check availability first. 
  • Grab those travel magazines/brochures at the airport. When you arrive and see them, pick them up as they often have a ‘What’s on’ section and lots of money off coupons. 

Travelling is great but it can be exhausting so hopefully some of these tips might help you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment